Thursday, March 28, 2013

Lack of sleep will cost you money!

 I know that personally if I am super tired (or have gone without my morning Starbucks) I am way less productive!

As a coffee drinker, starting the morning off without my favorite Starbucks skinny vanilla latte with soy milk (specific, yes I know), it's nearly impossible to do if I am running on low sleep!

You know how when your car has no gas it won't run? 


Similar to myself with no sleep.

In thinking of this problem and how millions of others probably experience the same exact thing, it made me wonder how lack of sleep influences the work place as a whole.

Lack of energy, difficulty focusing, head aches and zero creativity- all not too great for productivity!

According to an article that I read, "chronic sleep loss and sleep disorders are estimated to cost the nation as much as $16 billion in health care expenses and $50 billion in lost productivity," medical journal NIH Medline Plus says, citing studies from the National Centre on Sleep Disorders Research.

The same article reports that, "studies show that inadequate sleep leads to deficits in cognitive performance, including the ability to think clearly and quickly, perform efficiently, remember things and drive safely," according to David Dinges, associate director of the Center for Sleep and Circadian Neurobiology at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine.

So let's recap.

Bad/lack of sleep-->$16 billion in health care and $50 billion in loss of productivity.

Insufficient sleep-->scant cognitive performance.

With that said, get your 8-9 hours of sleep, drink your favorite Starbucks coffee and don't cost your company or yourself billions of dollars!