Friday, April 19, 2013

Good Employees Make Mistakes. Great Leaders Allow Them To.


We all make mistakes. Every one of us. If we aren’t making mistakes, then we likely aren't trying enough new things outside our comfort zone, and that itself is a mistake. That process is the best way to learn and grow as a person.  
As John Wooden once said, “If you’re not making mistakes, then you’re not doing anything.” Mistakes are the pathway to great ideas and innovation. Mistakes are not failures, they are simply the process of eliminating ways that won’t work in order to come closer to the ways that will.
Great leaders allow their people the freedom to make mistakes. 
Good employees are those who when mistakes are made. 
Learn from them, Own them, Fix them, and Put safeguards in place to ensure the same mistake will never be repeated again.
If you do in fact make a mistake...
Great People Practice The Six A’s of a Proper Apology:
Admit - I made a mistake.

Apologize - I am sorry for making the mistake.


Acknowledge - I recognize where I went wrong that caused my mistake to occur.


Attest - I plan to do the following to fix the mistake on this specific timeline.


Assure - I will put the following protections in place to ensure that I do not make the same mistake again.


Abstain – Never repeat that same mistake twice.